- The hardest call I’ll make this week is to Larry Lock. He and I were close. Then we weren’t. I don’t know that I knew until I began preparing to talk to him that I owed him an apology. That’s not the narrative my lazy mind had adopted.
- If you post a picture of Kathy Rose on Facebook, shut off the alerts. Or leave your phone in the kitchen…Otherwise, it’s going to beep all night. And then all the next day.
- The best part of watching Facebook’s reaction to a Kathy Rose? 150+ names of people I’ve never heard of. That means that the vitality and charisma that she brought every day to DHS is still apart of her. People love her wherever she goes.
- My habit of just trying things and being okay if they fail is going to catch up with me on this project. I sent out a conference call number on Facebook and didn’t think anything of it. Then I thought…what if no one calls in because Kathy keeps in touch with people already? Then I looked at my phone. In less than ten minutes, 20 people had responded to the post. Then the problem became, what if 50 people call in? How will I manage that.
- When I started this project I wrote down a list of fifty classmates I’d like to speak with just to prove that this was something worth pursuing. After a few days, I’ve begun to realize that was too few…and that I didn’t want to hurt anyone’s feelings for reaching out a year into this. Just reinforces the notion of every boxer having a strategy until they get punched. I’ll need to spend more time considering the interpersonal angles.
- Brady Goodgame is passionate and unwavering in his views. He hasn’t lost his mind. He doesn’t deserve to be called a racist or a xenophone. Stubborn? Yes. And it’s a pleasure to interact with him on something besides sports or business.
- “Do it yourselfers” – word of advice. Pay for the support on your blog. Following instructions you find on the web won’t keep your blog safe or make it act the way you envision. I use WordPress and ‘WP Live’ for support. These guys are very helpful and responsive.
- A surprising number of people have listened to a recording of Stanley Holmes. That’s crazy. The part I’ve gotten right so far is picking people with whom it is easy to talk and with whom people are interested. Hard not to love Stan the Man.
- People in Texas are just more open and easier to talk to than people anywhere else. This probably belongs in a “things I’ve had to relearn” column.
- Everyone I talked to about gatorsonlylater.com except for my wife recommended I not do this. For lots of very good reasons. Failure, boredom, criticism…Thank you, Nicole! I don’t think you thought this was one of my better ideas, but you always feed my enthusiasms (except for motorcycles and running shoes). Just another reason I love you (you’re also amazingly hot)!